The Pergamon Museum was built between 1910 and 1930 under the supervision of Ludwig Hoffmann, working according to designs by Alfred Messel. From 1901 to 1909, a smaller building had occupied the same spot. This building originally accommodated the important excavation finds of the Berlin Museums, such as the frieze of the Pergamon Altar which was recovered between 1878 and 1886. However, insufficient foundations soon led to damages in the building structure and the building had to be demolished even before the outbreak of the First World War.
The new, larger Pergamon Museum was conceived as a "Dreiflügelanlage". Today, it accommodates three separate museums: the Antikensammlung (Collection of Classical Antiquities), occupying the architectural halls and the sculpture wing, the Vorderasiatisches Museum (Museum of the Ancient Near East) and the Museum für Islamische Kunst (Museum of Islamic Art). The monumental reconstruction of archaeological building ensembles – such as the Pergamon Altar, the Market Gate of Miletus and the Ishtar Gate including the Processional Way of Babylon and the Mshatta Façade – has made the Pergamonmuseum world-famous.
Following the schedule of the Masterplan Museum Island, the restoration of the Pergamon Museum will begin in 2008 and will be carried out by stages under the auspices of the architectural office of Oswald Mathias Ungers. A total closure of the building will be avoided.
Open daily 10am - 6pm, Thursday until 10pm.
Nobody has written any comments or reviews yet. Why not be the first to have your say?
The Neues Museum houses the Egyptian Museum, Papyrus Collection, the Museum of Prehistory and Early History, and artefacts from Classical Antiquities.
The Altes Museum is located in the Museumsinsel, Berlin and houses Classical antiquites.
The Old National Gallery (Alte Nationalgalerie) is home to 19th century sculptures and paintings.
The Bode Museum displays the Sculpture Collection (medieval to 18th century), the Numismatic Colletion and works from the Gemaldegalerie.
The New National Gallery, houses the collection of 20th century European painting and sculpture from early modern art to art of the 1960's.